Most new customers ask this question because they don’t see the connection between their blog and their website’s business mission.
Simply, a blog is one of the best ways to your company’s online presence by taking advantage of SEO strategies (explained below) and to basic human psychology.
A blog is a short for “web log”, is like a diary. Unlike a personal diary, thanks to the Internet, it’s available online so anyone can read it. The beauty of the Internet is that it offers information about every topic imaginable. What better way to tell the world about your products or services? And your blog is your personal vehicle for conveying important information, not only about your products or services, but also about your business philosophy. It’s both a sales and educational tool all in one.
Summing up, here are six reasons why your website needs a blog:
- Most importantly, it’s the most direct and easily accessible way to communicate with potential and existing clients. The blog is the ideal place to tell them about new products, services or promotional offerings. As a business owner, you also want your clients to understand what they are paying for. I want to quote the late Sy Syms, a successful New York entrepreneur, who said, “An educated consumer is our best customer.” The blog is the ideal platform to educate prospective and existing clients.
- If you have a Blog you must be an expert. This is what crosses my mind when I am reading blogs’ or posts. It also increases your credibility, because it casts you as ethical professional who has taken the time to keep your clients informed, and explain how website mechanics work.
- Psychological impact. The blog puts a human face on the business. Customers discover that they are not just interacting with a computer that processes and expedite their orders, but that there is a human being at the helm who wants to make sure that his clients are satisfied.
- Opportunity to take advantage of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies. Simply, SEO is a marketing strategy that increases the visibility of your website. One of the most important SEO strategies is to create constantly changing content so the search engines know that your website is still “alive.” A blog is the best way to do it. This is achieved by search engines, such as Google, Bing, Yahoo and others “reading” your website. If you have enough content to answer the web-user questions, you will be ranked higher in the search results. Look for more blogs explaining the mechanics and importance of SEO.
- Take advantage of links. This is another facet of SEO. A successful website should be part of network of incoming and outgoing links. A blog is an easy way to do it by linking to related information on other websites or on your website. The link not only benefits you, but others in similar businesses who are also working to attract visitors (potential clients) to their sites.
- Generate income. Your website’s blog is an indirect, yet persuasive way to sell products or services, by using tools, such as Google’s AdSense or banners. First-time visitors spend between 15 to 25 seconds on a website. Grab their attention with something they find interesting, and there’s an excellent chance they’ll stay longer and return. An information-rich blog proves that a website is not only about selling products. It’s also about imparting useful information.
I’ve touched on a few of the important reasons for having a blog. But they are only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Look for more tips and information that will help you grow your business and be successful.
CEO – T&T Web Services